Nearly 500,000 teens and adults each year are injured due to various forms of distracted driving, including texting, mobile instant messaging, updating social media platforms, sending photos, etc. It’s a habit deadlier than drunk driving. We live in a constantly connected world where multitasking is second nature and communicating is instant.
Coupled with this compulsion, teens and adults are overly confident in their ability to ‘safely’ text while driving.
Tips for Teens:
- Be smart. Don’t text and drive. No text message is worth being distracted while you drive.
- Be in control. Remember it’s your phone. You decide if and when to send and read texts so take control. Consider turning your phone off, setting it to silent or even storing it in the glove box before hitting the road.
- Be caring. Never send a text message to a friend who is driving to meet you, or to anyone you know is likely behind the wheel.
- Be a “BFF”. Friends don’t let each other text and drive.
Tips for Adults:
- Be a resource. Share information with your teen about the risks of texting while driving.
- Be an example. Don’t send the wrong message by texting while you drive. Your teen will follow your example.
- Be caring. Don’t send a text when you know your teen is driving. Wait for them to call or text you once they have arrived safely at their destination.
- Be aware. Know your options. Many cell phone providers offer parents an easy way to manage their teen’s cell phone and text messaging activity.
Tips for all Drivers:
- Out of Sight, Out of Mind. When you’re in the car, put your phone where you can’t get it. A place where you won’t even be tempted to look for it. No phone. No texting.
- Find your App. An app can help you stop texting and driving. Download your fave and forget about it in the car.
- Silence is Golden. Turn those notifications off. The less you hear your phone, the less tempted you’ll be to respond while you’re driving.
- Designate a Texter. Borrow thumbs from a friend. Or lend yours to a friend. Passengers get the privilege of texting while in motion.